This program has passed. Watch for summer 2024!
Songs & Stories from the Middle Ages
Aug 21-27, 2023
This summer workshop and performance outing has been among our participants' favorite parts of the SHAK year for more than a decade! Enjoy bringing history to life by performing in real period costume. Choose music and/or drama option. After a friendly five-day learning workshop, our groups perform for the public at Camlann Medieval Village. You can see glimpses from our past seasons here.
For the Mon-Fri camp week, choose music only (short day), drama only (afternoons only), or both (full day):
Music (9:30-1:30): Sing thrilling centuries-old melodies in small and large ensembles, led by director Shulamit Kleinerman and accompanied by instruments of the period such as the vielle (medieval fiddle). Skilled student instrumentalists may be able to participate, and advanced singers may join as soloists; please inquire.
Drama (1:30-3:30): Revel in playful stories of transformations and miracles, adapted from medieval sources with a humorous twist by Shulamit Kleinerman and coached by Carmen Mettler.
Who can participate
- Kids and teens, 7-18
- From newcomers to experienced singers or actors
- Everyone works at their own level
- No performance experience is required, but...
- ...If you are signing up for singing, please be able to match pitch
- Instrumentalist participation is by invitation only; please inquire!
- Please be vaccinated against COVID-19 to the full extent available for your age group
Mon-Fri Aug 21-25 at director's studio in the Lake City neighborhood (Address given upon enrollment)
Music: 9:30am-1:30pm (bring lunch)
(Choose one or both!)
Sat-Sun Aug 2-6-27 at Camlann Medieval Village
Arrive at 11am for afternoon performances ending at 5pm
All of SHAK's programs operate on a sliding-fee model.
Above local median household income / net worth: This suggested tuition payment usually covers about 75%-90% of the program's actual cost.
- $250-350 for music only
- $250-350 for drama only
- $450-550 for the full day
Near local median household income / net worth: This suggested tuition payment usually covers about half of the program's actual cost.
- $200-250 for music only
- $175-250 for drama only
- $300-400 for the full day
Below local median household income / net worth: No one turned away for lack of funds. Please pay whatever makes sense for your household, in line with the percentage you pay for your student's other extracurricular activities.
At SHAK we know that everyone benefits when our programs are accessible, diverse, and welcoming!
Know before you enroll:
- Newcomers to SHAK: No audition is required. Since this project is focused on group singing with performances for the public, please provide a reference contact (usually a music teacher) who can speak to the participant's basic pitch-matching ability.
- Returning SHAK participants: If you haven't done any small-group singing with SHAK before, please contact Shula before enrolling. If you have already done a project like this with SHAK, you may skip that step and enroll directly.
Registration form for NEWCOMERS
Registration form for RETURNING PARTICIPANTS
Thank you! You should hear from us within 3 business days of submitting the form. In the unlikely event that your form or our reply gets lost in the ether, please reach out through the website's Contact page.
Your registration is complete only when we receive your payment. You may pay either by credit card below,
or by check to SHAK, PO Box 27472, Seattle WA 98165