Bring the past to life with period costume, spoken drama, music, and related arts
Professional instrumentalists accompany SHAK's signature youth adaptations of inspiring real-life stories and artistic masterworks.
Medieval Music Week 2019
Perform Music of the Middle Ages!
Early-registration discount: 15% off tuition through April 10!
After a friendly five-day workshop singing real medieval music, our group gives public performances at Camlann Medieval Village under the name "Good Yonge Voyces." You can see glimpses from our past seasons here! Participants learn exciting, fun melodies from the 12th-15th centuries in small and large ensembles, led by director Shulamit Kleinerman and accompanied by instruments of the period such as the vielle, rebec, and harp.
Who can participate:
- Kids and teens, 7-17
- From newcomers to experienced singers
- Everyone works at their own level
- No special background is required
- Please be able to match pitch
- Instrumentalist participation is by invitation only; please inquire
Mon-Fri Aug 19-23 at at director's studio in the Lake City neighborhood
(Address given upon enrollment)
9:30-1:30 (Instrumentalists may be invited to stay till 2:30)
Sat-Sun Aug 24-25 at Camlann Medieval Village
Arrive at 11am for afternoon performances ending at 5pm
Regular tuition: $280
Early-enrollment rate: $238 with registration completed by April 10!
Gender diversity scholarships:
Boys are often underrepresented in programs teaching drama, dance, and song. We encourage you to come and give these historical arts a try! SHAK programs tend to draw together creative, strong-minded, curious young individuals who enjoy discovering a sense of community together. Boys and gender-nonconforming kids attending a theater, dance, or singing program for the first time are invited to take 15% off your tuition level.
Need-based financial aid:
Know before you enroll:
- Newcomers to SHAK: No audition is required. Since this project is focused on group singing, please provide a reference contact (usually a music teacher) who can speak to the participant's basic pitch-matching ability (for drama cast) or vocal training (for chamber chorus).
- Returning participants: If the student has sung in just one project with SHAK, or has worked with SHAK in non-singing projects, please contact Shula before enrolling. Those who have sung with SHAK more than once may enroll directly.
We will confirm your submission of this form within three business days of receipt. If you don't hear back in that time, please contact Shula.
REMEMBER: Your registration is not complete until we receive your payment. The link to pay by credit card is below, or you may mail your check to SHAK, PO Box 27472, Seattle WA 98165.
Click here to request financial aid.