The Early Music Youth Academy, devoted to the joys of Renaissance consort music, meets for autumn and winter/spring semesters, with new performance projects each term. SHAK also presents short-term introductory or intermediate music workshops for instrumental music students once or twice each year.
SHAK's Early Music Youth Academy
Winter/spring 2019 features two endeavors for EMYA.
First, the band accompanies our March play, Master Finno's Songbook, with music from the beloved and tuneful Piae Cantiones song collection.
Later in the spring, we explore "The Consort Concept" in both a casual cafe concert and a formal performance. The spring program explores the many ways instrumental voices come together in sixteenth-century music, from beguilingly tuneful dance music to the smooth subtleties of vocal polyphony and the most extreme reaches of Renaissance compositional whimsy.
Tuition: $260 for the semester, postmarked by Dec 31
Early-bird registration: Discounted tuition of $234, postmarked by Dec 15
- Regular Saturday rehearsals* Jan 12 & 26; Feb 9 & 16; Mar 16 & 23; Apr 13 & 27; May 4
- Special rehearsals 3-6pm for all members: Sat Feb 2 and March 2 at Christ Episcopal Church
- Master Finno performances: 2pm call for 4pm performance:
- The Consort Concept performances:
*Regular Saturday Rehearsals: Continuo Group attend 3pm-4:15 (end time sometimes adjusted). Polyphony Group attend 4-6pm. Location is director's teaching studio in Olympic Hills/Lake City, location given upon enrollment.
Registration for returning students
Returning EMYA participants don't need to fill out the form, just send an email and your check:
1. Please contact Shula to discuss any possible absences, bearing in mind that some rehearsals are particularly important to attend and that each student needs to support their chamber music colleagues by being present regularly.
2. Mail your check to SHAK, PO Box 27472, Seattle WA 98165. Early registration postmarked by Dec 15: $234. Full tuition postmarked Dec 16-30: $260.