Songs from the Middle Ages
This workshop and performance outing has been one of our participants' favorite parts of the SHAK season for ten years now. Experience the excitement of singing real music from the Middle Ages -- and help bring the fourteenth century to life in costume at a living-history festival! Participants sing fun melodies in small and large ensembles, led by director Shulamit Kleinerman and accompanied by instruments of the period such as the vielle, rebec, and harp. After a friendly five-day learning workshop, our group performs for the public at Camlann Medieval Village. You can see glimpses from our past seasons here.
Who can participate
- Kids and teens, 7-17
- From newcomers to experienced singers
- Everyone works at their own level
- No performance experience is required, but...
- ...Please be able to match pitch
- Instrumentalist participation is by invitation only; please inquire
Mon-Fri Aug 24-28 at director's studio in the Lake City neighborhood (Address given upon enrollment)
9:30am-1:30pm (Instrumentalists may be invited to stay till 2:30)
Sat-Sun Aug 29-30 at Camlann Medieval Village
Arrive at 11am for afternoon performances ending at 5pm
The first $100 is a nonrefundable deposit. The balance of tuition is refundable up to one month before the first rehearsal.
Early-bird discounted tuition paid by March 30: $246
Early-bird tuition with boy scholarship*: $210
Regular tuition: $290 paid March 31-June 1
Need-based financial aid is always available:
*About SHAK's gender diversity scholarships:
These days, boys and men are often underrepresented in the arts of drama, dance, and singing, and may be reluctant to sign up. We want to encourage you to give these historical arts a try! SHAK programs tend to draw together a varied mix of creative, strong-minded, curious young people who often find a unique sense of community together across categories of age and gender. Boys attending a SHAK theater, dance, or singing program are invited to take a first-time 15% discount off your tuition level. Kids who identify themselves outside of binary gender are also welcome to use this scholarship.
Need-based financial aid is always available for anyone, so please don’t hesitate to ask.
At SHAK we know that everyone benefits when our programs are accessible, diverse, and welcoming!
Know before you enroll:
- Newcomers to SHAK: No audition is required. Since this project is focused on group singing with performances for the public, please provide a reference contact (usually a music teacher) who can speak to the participant's basic pitch-matching ability.
- Returning participants, please contact Shula before enrolling. (If you have been a small-group singer in SHAK performance projects two or more times, you may skip that step and enroll directly.)
Thank you! We'll respond within three days of receiving the form. In the unlikely event that your form or our reply gets lost in the ether, please reach out through the website's Contact page.
Your registration is not complete until we receive your payment. You may pay either by credit card below,
or by check to:
SHAK, PO Box 27472, Seattle WA 98165
To request financial aid, click here.
Before using the payment link below... have you clicked the "SUBMIT" button above
to send us your form first?